Alas and Did My Saviour Bleed
1. Alas! and did my Saviour bleed,
and did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head
for sinners such as I?
At the cross, at the chross
Where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away (rolled away).
It was there by faith,
I received my sight
And now I am happy all the day!
2. Was it for crimes that I have done,
he groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!
3. Well might the sun in darkness hide,
and shut its glories in,
when God, the mighty maker, died
for his own creature's sin.
4. Thus might I hide my blushing face
while his dear cross appears;
dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
and melt mine eyes to tears.
5. But drops of tears can ne'er repay
the debt of love I owe.
Here, Lord, I give myself away;
'tis all that I can do.